In 1730, Henry Burmester and John Nash founded Burmester & Nash in London, a cereal trading company. They moved to Vila Nova de Gaia and in 1750 began shipping port wine to the British Isles and the rest of Europe. The family name originates from the German word ‘Burgmeester’, meaning ‘mayor’ – as the family came from the small north Germany city of Moelln.
County Banking Company.
The commercial and financial activities of the Burmester family were renowned in London, to the extent that the family name lives on in the well-known Burmester Road, in the attractive area of Wimbledon.
From 1952 onwards, the Burmester Gilbert generation – Helmut and Arnold- took over the business, having founded, in 1962 another port company – Gilberts e Cº. From generation to generation, the Burmesters and Gilberts were noted for their know-how and commitment to the port business, raising the Burmester profile and ensuring the highest level of international recognition.
Recently acquired by Sogevinus SGPS, S. A. Group.